January 11, 2010

Well-Read

“The only source of knowledge is experience.” – Albert Einstein

I’ve logged hundreds of hours reading movie industry books.  Acting, directing, writing, producing, history, technique, theory – anything that could and should help me in my career.  Never satisfied, of course, but I had gotten to a point where I naively felt I had read more pertinent books than are left out there.  Then I stumbled across The Independents’ list of the 30 Quintessential Books for Independent Filmmakers.  Of the 30, I’ve read only 7.  Guess I’ve got a ways to go.

Fact is, there are more books published in a month than I could possibly read in a year.  But not all are worth the time.  And, reflecting on Mr. Einstein’s words, reading all the books ever written about the film and television industry simply cannot replace good old-fashioned experience.

Reading is one of my worst procrastination stumbling blocks.  It’s so easy to justify time spent learning the craft, but if it’s at the continued expense of practicing the craft, its gain is radically limited.  Just like everything in life, balance is the key.  When one side of the scale dips too heavily, it’s time to counter.  After all, knowledge is useless unless applied.

2 comments:

cynthia said...

Thanx for the link to the books, Justen. I like what you've written today!

Lance said...

Well said Justen. I'm still trying to find that balance myself. I'm very eager to jump out there and do projects without really reading up on my craft as well as I should.

Had a blast with you and everybody in Minnesota, I miss it already. Hope to do it again sometime, your place or mine! :)