April 24, 2014

Awed Odds


"If you play the odds, there's no reason to ever attempt a career in show business. If you live your dreams, there's no reason not to." -- Bonnie Gillespie

Twenty scratch-offs and six multi-chance match-the-numbers stubs. My wife won $120 worth of Minnesota lottery tickets at a charity event last month. We were both shocked because we never win anything. That's not an exaggeration. We never winAnything. Even our cribbage games end with us both losing somehow...

So when she came home with two gas tanks worth of lottery tickets, we couldn't wait to get scratching. Don't get me wrong... we knew we weren't going to hit any jackpots, but even if we came out fifty cents on the dollar, we'd be treating ourselves to large sundaes at Culver's... maybe without a coupon even!

We won $3.00.

And really, I'm surprised we won that. Ya know... I haven't actually cashed the one winning ticket yet, so I suppose there's a chance we misread the ridiculously complicated game... or maybe we possess one of the rarest of lottery tickets that actually requires the scratchee to pay the winning amount.

Needless to say, I'm not a lottery player. As someone who regularly defies odds in all ways non-beneficial, I figure, "why bother?"

It stands to reason, then, that I should give up this ridiculous Hollywood dream. Anyone who can manage to come out netting a 1/40 return on investment in lottery tickets isn't exactly walking around with four leaf clovers in his hair and a horseshoe in his pocket.

Luck plays such a huge role in penetrating the bubble with which Hollywood surrounds itself. One can't help but be awed by the odds stacked against a nobody from flyover land.

And yet I keep scratching.

Maybe I'll get there. Maybe I won't. I'm already embarrassed to be 37 years old and continuing to chase something a non-idiot would have given up long ago. Pride is out the window. All that's left is stubbornness. And desire.

If only I could find a little luck...








3 comments:

Ang Moe said...

You are ridonkulous! U are an amazing actor/writer/producer!!!!! Who CARES if you are 37! 37 is the NEW 27... so, I've heard! People ask me why I'm 36 and don't have any kids. I tell them..... well, Bryan and I were married only 1 year ago and we have plenty of time. If we run out of time, God will find a way for us to have kids if he wants! Don't give up on your dreams, Justin! I plan on writing an award winning novel that will be made into a movie! So maybe we will be in a "production" again someday! :) Keep On.... Keeping On and Keep the Faith!

Ang Moe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Aw... thanks, Angie. I appreciate the support and uplifting sentiments! Get going on that novel. Don't wait until you have kids. ;)