May 27, 2009

Procrastination

“It is not enough to have a good mind; the main thing is to use it well.” – Rene Descartes

Watching the Twins tonight I am, for the first time, experiencing the ridiculously slow-paced East World hurler, Daisuke Matsuzaka.  Everything he does is in slow motion.  Pitch the ball!  Would ya?

Watching the Boston Beaner gets me wondering if God is a frustrated spectator pleading to me to stop pacing around the mound, flipping the rosin bag, and shaking off my catcher in favor of actually doing what I’m supposed to do.  Flawed metaphor and discrepant personification of my creator aside, I do think it’s time to pitch.

I just don’t know where to pitch.  My recent efforts to attract attention from LA agents and managers have proved fruitless.  Reading quotes from a couple agents in Chad Gervich’s excellent book, Small Screen, Big Picture, I am no longer surprised by the wallish reception to my cordial outreach.  Essentially, those poled for the book acknowledged that querying agents or managers is a waste of time.  The consensus recommendation is to simply let your work speak for itself.

So I will continue to work.  We continue to exercise our minds, but as Mr. Descartes eloquently coined nearly 400 years ago, building our minds up does little unless we apply that knowledge.

The path to success in this vainglorious club is nebulous.  The only thing of which I am sure is that it takes hard work and a consistent counterstrike to the attacks of the procrastination enemy.  No more lingering on the mound - one way or another I need to hurl some pitches up there and see if I strike out or hit a homerun.

And there… the metaphor officially fizzled.

2 comments:

Lance said...

Hang in there! My stepdad always says that it's more about being in the right place at the right time...just keep praying God puts you in that spot.

Someday you and I just need to dive headfirst into LA and not leave until one of us finds success. The Bible says two are better than one, too ;)

MN 2 Hollywood said...

I am always praying for God to put me in the right spot at the right time... I'm also praying that when He does, I know it! Who knows? He may have already put me where I need to be, but I was too blind to notice. Thankfully, He's a God of second chances. :)