December 29, 2009

Granted

“Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted.” – Aldous Huxley

One of the great mysteries of life is that the passage of time can seem simultaneously fast and slow.  The six years between December 29, 2003, and the same date in 2009 is my personal proof.

I’m typing this entry exactly six years after I last saw my little sister.  I’m struggling with words.  I hate admitting the truth.  I hate that because of an idiot drunk driver my sister didn’t get to have her 19th birthday.  I hate how dark it is this time of year.  I hate that she’s gone.  I hate that she’s gone.  I hate that she’s gone.

It seems like we were just playing Catch Phrase, quoting episodes of the yet unfinished Friends series or Dumb and Dumber.  It doesn’t seem like that long ago I was telling her about this new band, Evanescence, that I thought she would like.  I’m pretty sure six years ago today that I did my awful Jack Sparrow impression for her at least a dozen times.  We probably jabbed playfully at our other sister at least half that on this day during her first college Christmas break.  And I remember well her descriptions of a new boy she was sure would finally meet my strict standards.

In many ways, six years doesn’t seem long at all.

But sometimes I feel myself taking important things for granted again which would imply six years has been a lifetime in which I haven’t learned a thing about appreciating what’s in my life while it is.  How can this be?  How can I let the sun go down while I harbor anger or resentment toward loved ones?  Or loathed ones for that matter?  How can I excuse myself from visiting family and friends because of gas prices?  How can I rank work ahead of playtime with my kids?

With uncertainty the only certainty, we would be wise to appreciate every moment we have, especially with those we love.  Had I known my phone would ring at 4:30 in the morning six years ago with my other sister sharing what would turn out to be the worst news of my 27 year life, I would have hugged my baby sister that much tighter, told her I loved her that much more, and kept her under watchful eye for as long as I could.

She’s my company’s namesake and continues to be a muse to me.  I miss her.  I love her.  I can still hear her, see her, and smell her.  And at times I can feel her as if she’s been here the last six years.

But I’m still allowed to cry.  Especially today.

9 comments:

Kari said...

Thinking of you and loving you today, Justen.

Anonymous said...

My thoughts are with you. I'm glad to hear that there are siblings who can be such good friends and so deeply connected. -- Cynthia

Anonymous said...

I am thinking of you and your family today. Such a sad, sad anniversary following so closely what should be a joyous time of the year. The sad anniversary inbetween two happy birthdays in the family. How can that be? I find myself saying, "if only... "

Terry Overlander said...

I Love you Son, and I couldn't have said it any better. I even find myself taking things for granted again when I should have learned not to, I still can't believe how people can get so worked up about the smallest things. You know? I didn't think it would bother me as much as it still does, but I guess it always will. I'm just so fortunate to have you as a Son and Miranda as a Daughter and our wonderful Grandchildren. Thank YOU! And Thank our Lord. I Love You! Mom & Dad

Lance said...

Justen, I remember when I found out the significance behind "Kenzie Productions"...I wanted to cry. Your love for your sister is truly beautiful and inspiring.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on such a deeply personal matter. I have to remember myself not to take moments for granted with my own family and friends.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this very difficult time of year...know that if you ever need to talk I'm always here for you, my friend.

Much love and blessings, --ChrisP

Jeremy Gustafson said...

Thank you for sharing your story, for being vulnerable. May it be used as a reminder NOT to take our lives for granted. Prayers and peace, Justen.

Dez said...

I still remember getting the call from your sister the following day telling me what happened.

This is a tough time of year for your whole family, but all of you have been strong throughout these 6 years (has it really been that long?) even though you've had to deal with this terrible loss.

The memories and posters and reminders of her and her story are the reason that I've found a better time being DD on nights out with friends instead of drinking. No one should ever have to go through that.

Thank you for reminding me again to not take anything for granted.

--Justin Dessonville

Thomas E. Jacobson said...

Justen, thank you so much for sharing. I know what you mean about time moving by quickly. Though certainly not as serious, I shared some of the same thoughts in my mock "Christmas letter" that you likely received on Facebook. How easy it is to let the minutae of life bog us down. Each and every day is a precious gift from God, but I would add to that, saying that it's not as though we wander through life aimlessly, for "we are his people and the sheep of his pasture." Have a blessed rest of the Christmas season, rejoicing in Emmanuel, God's promise made complete.

Tom

MN 2 Hollywood said...

Thank you, all of you, for your kind words. I appreciate it.

Blessings,
Justen