January 7, 2009

Connections

"I am not a fan of the expression, 'It's not what you know; it's who you know.' In fact, I vehemently disagree with it. Get out there. Get meetings. Begin to work on projects and forge relationships... Do not blame failure on lack of connections. Go and make connections. Start with a couple hundred phone calls." -- Jonathon Koch, from his book, Pitching Hollywood, co-authored with Robert Kosberg

A few days ago I blogged about my lack of Hollywood nepotism. It's true I have no built-in connections to the entertainment industry. But I've slowly assembled my Twin Cities network to include talented actors, writers, directors, producers, agents, lawyers, musicians, marketers, and more, and I am going to rededicate myself to expanding my network in Hollywood.

A couple years ago I bought a handful of calling cards and starting cold-calling agents and producers in LA and NY. I hated it. I still don't like making cold calls, and I admit I've slacked considerably in what may be the most important step in establishing yourself in the Hollywood circle. But reading the above mentioned book reminded me of the importance of making those calls. Yes, I will continue to get 49 nays to every 1 yay, but I have to take it in stride and remember I only need that one right yay to be the salve for the sting of all the nays.

State lotteries have never been an attractive product for my limited money, but millions play games with odds of winning in the millions to one. You have a better chance of getting hit by lightning than you do of winning the Power Ball. I have certainly not made a million phone calls and I never will. But I've made a couple hundred. My success rate is very low, but a low success rate is better than no success rate. The Hollywood Creative Directory will become my bible for the next few months (though I won't stop reading the real Bible!) as I enter the query world again after a year-long hiatus.

If you have a screenplay that you've written and rewritten and rewritten again, I encourage you to do the same. Buy the Hollywood Creative Directory and start researching production companies that may potentially be interested in taking a look at your script. You'll get an obscene number of rejections, but if you create enough luck for yourself, you'll get a few nibbles, and each nibble is one more step in establishing a solid network of necessary connections.

1 comment:

Gabriel Remus said...

Excellent! I sent my manuscript off to a professional editor and I plan to attend a writers conference in Feb. There are supposed to be agents and publishers there at a reception that follows the seminar. Yes, I need to get myself connected as well.