July 3, 2009

Accreditation

“Never trust the advice of a man in difficulties.” – Aesop

Brett Favre.  His laid-back drawl and fist-pumping antics have been fixtures on SportsCenter for a decade and a half.  This summer, like last, has been a wait-and-see game for us Purple faithful while Mr. Favre teases us with his desire to once again end his faux retirement.  The latest rumor today is that the immortal #4 is house-hunting in the Twin Cities.

Were Brett Favre to write a book on decision-making, I wouldn’t spend the gas money to go snag it from the library.  A book about quarterbacking?  Favre’s take on the subject would intrigue me as much as anybody not named Montana.

Brett Favre has accreditation as one of the most successful quarterbacks to ever play in the NFL.  His accreditation in decision-making has waned as much as his natural hair color over the last several years.

As mentioned in my previous post, I think it’s important for each of us to receive feedback for the work we put out there.  What I failed to mention is that the source of the feedback is as important as the feedback itself.  While there are many qualities desirable in our trusted critics, accreditation must be first and foremost.  No matter how much your Uncle Harry claims to know about Hollywood, unless he’s actually been in the trenches, his critique is about as useful as marriage advice from Jon and Kate.

Come to think of it, so is mine.  I haven’t been in the trenches, but I’ve learned from those who have.  My hope is that anyone (the one?) who reads this, will seek advice from worthy sources.  Don’t rely on Mom and Dad to steer your career (unless you’re Sean Astin or Colin Hanks).  And don’t rely on Brett Favre for decision making advice… or acting advice.  Have you seen There’s Something About Mary?

2 comments:

Lance said...

NOW YOU TELL ME.

just kidding. Very true. In fact, I found this advice even more poignant in relation to other areas of my life, non-film.

MN 2 Hollywood said...

Was it really a big secret I didn't know what I was talking about? Ha!