July 21, 2009

Art

“Every child is an artist.  The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up.” – Pablo Picasso

Ah, artistic integrity.  The catch phrase is comforting and scary at the same time.  A filmmaker’s artistic integrity is often praised by critics when audiences loathe the final product, and conversely admonished when a filmmaker “sells out” for commercial success.  A filmmaker can tout artistic integrity as an excuse for either critique.

Only two kinds of filmmakers can afford to consider artistic integrity: those with already established careers and those with no desire to ever have a career.  I’m willing to sacrifice my own artistic integrity to join the former club.

Am I jaded?  Maybe.  But at this point I have to approach the film industry as the business it is.  Ultimately, I’m okay with that, because I’m in this business not for my own gratification, but to make others happy because of something I offer them on the screen.  In that sense, my artistic integrity is based solely on the reception of my products.  If they like it, I’m satisfied; if they don’t, it’s back to the drawing board for me.

2 comments:

Lance said...

I'm stlll optimistic there is a way to have it both ways...artistic integrity and commercial success. :)

MN 2 Hollywood said...

Ah, yes... but I think the critics will not allow one to have both! ;)