July 23, 2009

Critics

“Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary.” – Winston Churchill

I’m not one to put a lot of stock into the words of film critics.  I find myself all too often in complete disagreement with much of what the self-appointed experts have to say.  But I recently read an article from Roger Ebert in which he had written some agreeable insights.

The article, now several weeks old, is a response to the implied hordes of Transformers fanboys calling out Mr. Ebert’s ignorance in blasting this summer’s sequel’s substandard semblance.  I have yet to see the tent-pole sense stimulator, so I can’t pick a side in relation to its quality or lack thereof.  However, I find most of Mr. Ebert’s generalities right on the button.

I find one point the Chicagoan makes to be most profound.  He writes “that many Americans have an active suspicion and dislike of the ‘educated.’  They ask, ‘what makes you an expert?’ when they’re really asking, “what gives you the right to disagree with me?’”  There is such a big push today to glorify the individual – with which I don’t disagree – but when that translates to, “I’m always right no matter what anyone else thinks,” we are setting ourselves up for endless, unwinnable battles.

What does this have to do with making movies?  Well, looking back at some earlier entries in which I encourage feedback from unbiased sources, I think it’s important for all feedback to be considered regardless of the giver.  Don’t be too quick to judge another’s viewpoint simply because it differs from your own.  It is, of course, our job as the creators of entertainment to ultimately pick and choose which criticism we want to accept.  It’s just way too easy to label as “wrong” the opinions that are simply “different” from our own.

This is an ongoing battle for me.

1 comment:

Lance said...

As it is for all of us, my friend.