August 6, 2009

John Hughes

One of the greats has now passed on.

For my money, John Hughes is one of the great screenwriters of our time.  His movies were iconic for any child of the 80s.  Two of my top-ten favorite movies of all-time were penned by Mr. Hughes: National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation and The Great Outdoors.  Most would rank Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club, and Ferris Bueller’s Day Off ahead of my favorites, and I would not argue.

His IMDb credits list is astonishing.  Check it out and leave a quick comment about your all-time favorite John Hughes screenplay.

3 comments:

Lance said...

NOOOOOOOO :(

I loved John Hughes...the man was a genius. I am so sad that he hadn't done any movies as of lately, but his classic 80s flicks about teens, romance and life will forever live on in our hearts.

Lance said...

Oh, and my favorite John Hughes screenplay....so hard to pick. "Planes, Trains & Automobiles" makes me tear up a little at the end. "The Breakfast Club" was an amazing coming-of-age story about five outcasts.

But I think i'd have to say Ferris Bueller is my favorite...it combined the coming-of-age elements with a hilarious comedy, with equally poignant serious parts. And it's all about enjoying life!

MN 2 Hollywood said...

Mine is The Great Outdoors. It isn't his best and it's certainly not a great movie, but it is my all-time favorite! There, I said it!