August 23, 2009

We all live in a...

I have great respect and admiration for Robert Zemeckis, one of the great directors of the 80s and 90s, but his recent efforts, technologically groundbreaking as they’ve been, lack the endearing qualities of his earlier computer aided movies including the Back to the Future series, Forrest Gump, and my favorite, Cast Away.

Can you fault him for making movies he wants to make?  Of course not.  But his former brilliance seems to be giving way to technology lust in movies like Beowulf and the upcoming motion captured 3D digital remake of Yellow Submarine.  No, seriously.  Read about it here.  I’ll see Yellow Submarine and I may like it, but I still long for the Zemeckis of old.

One day, I hope to get close to Mr. Zemeckis’ level so I can make whatever movies I want and let random bloggers rant about how they miss my earlier work.  Maybe then I’ll be satisfied with my progress in this industry.

Nah.

4 comments:

Lance said...

still waiting for Back to the Future IV!!!!!

Thomas E. Jacobson said...

I never really enjoyed Castaway that much, but maybe I need to see it again.

I would agree that the Back to the Future movies were classics. Does anyone know why it took so long to come out with number two after the first one?

I always wanted to be like Marty McFly and visit my parents' teenage lives. Wait, on second thought, no.

Thanks, Robert, for those thoroughly entertaining films!

MN 2 Hollywood said...

Always a pleasure to hear from you, Rev!

david lund said...

just watched some of your work last night [30 oct 09] at mounds theater, st paul, in 'terror from beneath the earth' [2008]. well done. met n chatted w/ christopher r. seemed like a nice, n capable, guy. best of luck in la. if you run into rob elk or the always-lovely ann reyerson, please pass along my respectful regards.