December 7, 2009

Bob Kosberg – Selling Your Idea to Hollywood

And the award for Most Entertaining Speaker Not Named John Cleese at the 2009 Screenwriting Expo (at least out of the speakers I saw) goes to Bob Kosberg.  The award for Longest Award Title goes to me.

The way he commanded the classroom it’s no surprise Bob Kosberg is known as “King of the Pitch.”  Something about him reminded me of Ted Danson, though Mr. Kosberg is perhaps even smoother than Sam Malone.  His producer credits include Commando, Twelve Monkeys, and the forthcoming Ben Stiller Hardy Boys flick, The Hardy Men.

As confident and outspoken as he was, Mr. Kosberg didn’t come across as arrogant or smug.  He admits his success depends on others’ ideas, and he invited each attendee to pitch him via e-mail.  If an idea strikes him as a potential money-maker, he’ll partner with the pitcher and work at making a sale.  Not a bad offer from someone plugged in.

His foremost piece of advice was to keep story ideas simple.  If the movie idea can’t be summarized in a sentence or two, it’s not going to sell as a pitch.  Visualize the movie poster, Mr. Kosberg advised.  Movies today are all about marketing.  Executives don’t care about changing the world or tugging at an audience’s heartstrings… unless it makes them money.  We, as artists, must don our best business hats and develop a marketing plan right out of the gate.

When I signed up for Mr. Kosberg’s class I didn’t even realize he co-authored Pitching Hollywood, one of only a few books I’ve read more than once.  I don’t claim to be a good pitcher, but if I want success in this industry, I’m going to have to become one.  Maybe Nolan Ryan can give me a hand.  Or Sam Malone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

INtresting