December 22, 2009

Brittany Murphy

“A human life is a story told by God” – Hans Christian Andersen

It’s easy to express token condolences amidst tragedies involving public figures.  For many, sincerity is purposed but rarely achieved.

I didn’t know Ms. Murphy personally.  I am saddened by the news and I have and will continue to pray for the family and friends she has left behind.  But an attempt to claim personal devastation over Ms. Murphy’s sudden death would only insult those who are truly mourning the loss of their daughter, wife, sister, and friend.  It is for them that I mourn.

On a personal level, this death resonates more than, say, Michael Jackson, Patrick Swayze, or Farrah Fawcett.  By no means am I ranking the loss of one over others– that’s ridiculous – but I had felt Ms. Murphy’s and mine were paths that would one day cross.

She was on my shortlist of actresses I hoped one day to offer a role in a movie I’d like to produce in the next few years.  Her talent, looks, and demeanor were perfect for said role.  As an actress, Ms. Murphy’s range was wider than perhaps all of her peers – check her out in Don’t Say a Word for proof.

But it wasn’t her professional skills that drew me to her.

I listen often to Brittany Murphy in a short audio clip I lifted from the commentary track on the Just Married DVD.  At the end of the credits roll, director Shawn Levy makes a plea to anyone listening who has a dream of building a career in Hollywood to just go for it.  Co-stars Ashton Kutcher and Brittany Murphy added their inspirational thoughts, with Ms. Murphy breaking into an audible prayer of thanksgiving.

Maybe I’m the sucker for buying into the words of three mega-rich celebrities.  After all, Hollywood is a town built on lies.  And maybe I’m putting too much stock into 75 seconds of improvised audio commentary at the end of a movie I enjoyed more than I should have.  But the sincerity seemed genuine.  Mr. Levy, from Montreal, Mr. Kutcher from Cedar Rapids, and Ms. Murphy, from Atlanta, all followed dreams and all found success.

Ms. Murphy’s new successes will be experienced on a completely different plain.  Maybe she and my sister will hang out.  Kenzie was a big fan of Clueless.

No comments: