February 17, 2009

Direction

"I've got to keep breathing. It'll be my worst business mistake if I don't." -- Steve Martin

Steve Martin. Few are worthy to be mentioned in the same breath as the brilliant comedian, actor, writer, producer, director, genius. One of my favorite works of his is the 1998 publication, Pure Drivel. Irreverent and trivial with no cohesion, it is as funny and smart as anything I've read.

If Mr. Martin's collection of hilarious commentaries really is drivel, then no word exists to define the vast majority of blogs floating in the World Wide Interweb dot com net. Truth be told, I have no evidence to support my claim that most blogs are as important as a toothbrush user's guide. My small sampling of the blogosphere is no proxy for Mr. Gallup or Mr. Nielson (George and Arthur, respectively, for those trivia hounds out there). Just call it a hunch.

So how do I keep this blog from dropping into obscurity? More accurately, how do I guide my blog out of obscurity? Today, in true Hollywood wannabe fashion, I spent an inexcusable amount of time trying to make my blog prettier. I got my blog registered with the search engines, and I learned a decent amount of HTML, XHTML, CSS, XML, and SOL along the way.

Time well spent I'm sure. The reality is, no matter the cosmetics of a blog, it's the content that brings people back. I was lucky enough to find a handful of blogs that could prove useful to you, dear reader, and me, dear writer. Interestingly, I think we're the same person. Anyway... I'll share useful links in an upcoming entry, thereby eliminating any need to come back and visit this blog. Sniff.

Except for the one or two things that make my blog unique. In my tepid blogosearch, I came across some excellent screenwriting sites, but few good acting, producing, or directing blogs, let alone any blogs that encompass all those facets of the movie industry. So my first claim to sui generis (God bless you, Thesaurus) is that I consider myself a legitimate actor, screenwriter, director, and producer. Legitimate, of course, is the arguable term, but give me time.

So my basic direction for this blog is to be a one-stop shop for all other aspiring (or legitimate [insert smiley face]) quadruple threats. Until Clint Eastwood, Woody Allen, or Steve Martin start blogging, this may be the only place for us.

And to those who check in to see my progress out of interest, pity, or self re-affirmation - God bless you all. I'll still update a bunch.

No comments: