February 14, 2009

Do

"We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing, while others judge us by what we have done." -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

So I've read a few books about making movies. Big deal. No matter how much I feel I know about the world of talkies, the knowledge is useless if not applied. The last thing I want to be is a well-read wannabe. I'm applying the teachings of others to my own projects, but the gained knowledge is no vaccination from my own mistakes.

Isn't that the case no matter the endeavor? Flight simulators can emulate cockpit conditions remarkably, but would you hop on a DC-10 with a pilot trained solely by a computer game?

It is only through doing that one can become what they aspire to be. So what am I doing? I'm acting. I'm writing. I'm directing. I'm producing. I'm editing. I'm composing. I'm querying. And I'm looking into the school of anti-redundancy school.

But in order to do all I want to do, I need to continue to learn from those who have already done it. And I need to continue to learn from my own experiences. Every day brings a new mountain to climb, and the more I know about mountain climbing, the easier the scaling will be.

No comments: